So, I did some nosing around on the Internet today, looking into Marvel chronology and studying character bios with continuity in mind. Clearly, the core roster for Secret War are the characters from the comic:
Black Widow, Captain America, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Nick Fury, Quake (Daisy Johnson), Spider-Man, Wolverine
Since I’m trying to run an ongoing campaign with its own continuity, what I’m trying is to establish a campaign continuity timeline. Wherever possible, I’m trying to follow established Marvel continuity, but with minimal departures necessary to enable gameplay. What I’ve decided is to follow up on the concept of a sliding timeline (as explained here on Plot Points).
As I’d indicated before some characters are in my mind problematic:
- Armor, Nico Minoru: Neither is introduced as a character within our established time frame; including either character would also undermine Daisy Johnson’s perceived role as junior hero.
- Colossus: Currently dead; won’t be resurrected until after this Event.
- Hawkeye: One choice I made for gameplay reasons was to move the Avengers Disassembled event one month before Secret War, rather than one month after. What this means is that, if we assume the same storyline, he sacrifices himself to save the day.
The remaining heroes included in the Event look to be OK: Emma Frost, Gambit, Iron Fist, She-Hulk. And given time constraints, I may just leave it at that for right now . . . .
But if I had time to work on some replacement alternative characters and their milestones, they just might be:
- Black Panther: He’d be a covert asset; his potential motivation could be building national conflict between Wakanda and Latveria.
- Ms Marvel, Spider-Woman: As agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Mystique: Fury considers it in his journal: she could be a really, really interesting femme fatale / black ops agent.